Go to content

Noto

The Stone Garden



PAGE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

HERITAGE

  • MYTH & LEGENDS
  • FACTS & CHARACTERS
  • BOOKS  & MOVIES
  • ARCHAEOLOGICAL FINDS
  • CLASSIC PLAYS
  • MYSTERY & EXOTERISM
  • MAIN MUSEUMS & HISTORICAL CHURCHES
  • GUIDED TOURS
  • ART TREASURES
  • GOURMET EXCELLENCES
  • HISTORICAL EVENTS
NOTO THROUGH THE AGES
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephaestum, quae procudit ensis et auxiliatus sum miser percutiat tyrannus plays Iovem vertice Olympi Incolitis bibens et ridens
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephae
A GREAT COMMANDER CALLED DUCEZIO
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephaestum, quae procudit ensis et auxiliatus sum miser percutiat tyrannus plays Iovem vertice Olympi Incolitis bibens et ridens
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephae
IL BAROCCO DI NOTO
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephaestum, quae procudit ensis et auxiliatus sum miser percutiat tyrannus plays Iovem vertice Olympi Incolitis bibens et ridens
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephae
RELIGIOSITY AND RICHNESS
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephaestum, quae procudit ensis et auxiliatus sum miser percutiat tyrannus plays Iovem vertice Olympi Incolitis bibens et ridens
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephae
L 'INFIORATA DI NOTO
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephaestum, quae procudit ensis et auxiliatus sum miser percutiat tyrannus plays Iovem vertice Olympi Incolitis bibens et ridens
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile numen Apollo labore opus est illustrare diebus Hephae
ARTworks
.






SURROUNDINGS
tyrannus plays Iovem vertice Olympi Incolitis bibens et ridens
quod sol oriatur et occidat implacabile nume
Noto Antica
Castelluccio Tombs
Castelluccio di Noto is an archaeological site located in the province of Syracuse, between the towns of Noto and Palazzolo Acreide and which gave the name to the Castelluccio culture. The site was located by the archaeologist Paolo Orsi, who dated it between the fifteenth and nineteenth centuries BC , the sicilian Early Bronze Age. Scholars have identified the plan of the town, situated on a rocky outcrop, a sort of fortified acropolis and necropolis. The necropolis consists of more than 200 man-made burial caves dug into the steep walls of the nearby "quarry of the Lady". The most monumental is the so-called "Tomb of the Prince" with a false prospectus consists of four pillars. From the site are numerous ceramic materials, now on display at the Archaeological Museum "Paolo Orsi" in Syracuse, as well as artifacts in  bronze and the famous two headstones engraved with  spiral-shaped symbols.
Source:Wikipedia the free encycolpedia
Bibliografy
Fabrizio Nicoletti, Indagini sull'organizzazione del territorio nella facies di Castelluccio, in Sicilia Archeologica
Giuseppe Voza, Nel segno dell'antico, Arnaldo Lombardi Editore
Sebastiano Tusa, La Sicilia nella preistoria, Sellerio editore
Roman villa IV century a.d.
Address:Contrada Caddeddi
Entry:every day 9,00  to 19.00 ticket 6,00 €
Tel. : 0931 573883   3315771472
The Villa Romana del Tellaro is a Roman villa dating from the late Roman Empire on Sicily in southern Italy. It is located south of Noto in the province of Syracuse.
The remains of the villa were found in 1971 in a fertile agricultural area, on a low elevation near the Tellaro river. The site was located on a farm dating from the 17th to the 19th century.The central building was constructed around a large peristyle. The section of the porch on the north side had a floor which was decorated with lt mosaics. They show laurel wreathes forming circles and octagons with geometric and floral motifs. They border two other rooms that retain figurative mosaics.
In the first of these rooms a very damaged mosaic contains a panel with scenes of the ransom of the body of Hector. In this scene Odysseus, Achilles and Diomedes, identified by inscriptions in Ancient Greek, are weighing the body of the hero. The figure of Priam is lost, but the legs of Hector's body can be seen partially on the right side of the scales. The gold of the ransom is visible on the left side. This event was not mentioned in the Iliad by Homer and is probably derived from a tragedy of Aeschylus. The mosaic floor in the second room shows a hunting scene with a banquet in the open air among the trees. The female figure in the scene is the personification of Africa.The scenes on the mosaic found in the second room are reminiscent of the mosaics in the Villa Romana del Casale near Piazza Armerina. However, this mosaic has more stylized figures and two-dimensional, uncertain proportions, making the effect very different. The mosaics were probably the work of craftsmen from lt North Africa. Based on numismatic evidence, they were made in the second half of the fourth century CE.
Source:Wikipedia free encyclopedia
Further Readings:
Dunbabin, Katherine M. D. (2001). Mosaics of the Greek and Roman World. New York: Cambridge University Press. pp. 142–143.
Sfameni, Carla (2004). "Residential Villas in Late Antique Italiy: Continuity and Change".
In Bowden, William; Lavan, Luke; Machado, Carlos. Recent Research on the Late Antique Countryside. Late Antique Archaeology 2. Leiden: Brill. pp. 335–375.
Voza, Giuseppe (1982). "Le ville romane del Tellaro e di Patti in Sicilia e il problema dei rapporti con l'Africa".
150-Jahr-Feier Deutsches Archäologisches Institut Rom: Ansprachen und Vorträge, 4–7 Dezember 1979. Mitteilungen des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts - Römische Abteilung (in Italian) 25. Mainz: Philipp von Zabern. pp. 202–209.
Voza, Giuseppe (2003). I mosaici del Tellaro, lusso e cultura nel sud est Sicilia (in Italian). Erre Produzioni.
Source:Wikipedia free encyclopedia
VISIT THE PLACE

  • PLACE
  • CATEGORY
  • INTRODUCTION
  • ORIENTATION
  • ORIENTATION MAP
  • HIGHLIGHTS
  • SIGHTSEEING WALKDOWN
  • WALKDOWN MAP
  • GUIDED TOURS
  • INTERESTING FACTS
  • FESTS & EVENTS
  • NIGHT LIFE
  • USEFULL INFORMATION
  • TRANSPORTATION
  • SPENDING FREE TIME
  • SURROUNDINGS
  • SURROUNDINGS MAP
  • SUROUNDING DISTANCES & TRANSPORTATION
  • BEST BEACHES
  • FAQS

Triumphal Arch Visit Start Point /Car Park
Corso Vittorio Emanuele
Coordinate 36.889969,15.074181

Noto is one of the most beautiful cities in Sicily, defined as “The Stone Garden”. It has an architectonic overview that is unique in the world for the unity and harmony of Baroque style that is truly splendid, emphasized by the natural beauty of the rosè colour of the stone used to build the town.
Neas is believed to have been founded by Sican populations, at the time of the fall of Troy, on the Mendola hill. Falling into the hands of the Syracuse conquerors, the town assimilated Hellenic customs and rites, and was raised to the rank of a “gymnasium”.
Coming under the Roman domination, as declared a Latin ‘municipium’, a singular condition which brought the town considerable privileges, like that of being able to govern itself with its own laws.
Conquered by the Arabs, who made it a highly armed stronghold, it took the present name and was the capital of one of the three “valleys” into which Arabs subdivided Sicily.
After two centuries of Islamic domination, in 1090 Noto negotiated surrender with Roger.
The history of Noto has been determined not so much by men as by nature: in 1693 it was destroyed by the earthquake which struck all south-eastern Sicily. Conceived of like a big theatre without wings, as a big and open, lively and flowing town, Noto returned to life, sumptuous and superb, on the side of the Meti hill, on the southern slopes of the Iblei mountains. The architectural vicissitudes of the new town were dominated by the artistic fancy of three architects, Rosario Gagliardi, Vincenzo Sinatra and Paolo Labisi, who succeeded in developing an amazing masterpiece showing architectural unity.
These were three different personalities which, though living and working in the provinces, conferred on the town an original impress which goes beyond the rigid Baroque idiom, being enriched with Renaissance, pseudo-Spanish and neo-classical elements and giving life to a fanciful and dreamy style.
Noto should be visited carefully, without hurrying, in order to realize that every corner and every stone holds a surprise.


The triumphal arch

The triumphal arch, along the main thoroughfare, marks the start of the town. Surmounted by three symbolic sculptures - a tower with battlements (power), a dog (fidelity) and a pelican (sacrifice) - the monument was erected during a visit to Noto of Ferdinand II of Bourbon, who inaugurated it in 1838. The royal gate was built in the typical golden calcareous stone used in the previous century for churches and palaces in the town.



The San Francesco all’Immacolata Church

The San Francesco all’ Immacolata Church rises at the top of an imposing flight of steps at the right of the main thoroughfare. It was built, together with the annexed convent, in 1704-1745. The church has a single nave, in accordance with the Franciscan custom. All white, the walls are decorated with rococo style stuccoes.






The Santa Chiara Church

The Santa Chiara Church, by Gagliardi, a delicate Baroque expression, was built in 1785. The interior, small and oval, decorated with stuccoes and putty, has its rhythm marked out by twelve columns, and it is one of the most interesting examples of spatial solutions by this architect.Inside the Madonna col Bambino by Domenico Gagini 15th century.






San Domenico Church

Splendid Baroque Church was built between 1703 and 1727 under direction of Architect Rosario Gagliardi, it is actually one of the most well preserved baroque opera of the town.



The Santissimo Salvatore Monastery

The Santissimo Salvatore monastery is the biggest edifice in the town, built in 1710-1791 on a rectangular area of 11,000 square metres. On the first floor flat twin pillars frame the big windows, whose rich decoration is reminiscent of the Portuguese plateresque style. Then follows a protruding wing which acts as a key in the construction conception; it rises imposingly like a tower over buildings and cupolas around it, and leaves no doubt about the superiority of this monastery compared to other orders. This impression is emphasised by the rich stone decoration and the railings in wrought iron.

The Santissimo Salvatore Church

The Santissimo Salvatore Church, built at the end of the 18th century, rises in a big square. Its particular feature lies in the traces, in the façade, of the transition from Baroque to Classicism.


The Cathedral

The Cathedral, which stands at the top of a monumental staircase,  was begun just a few months after the earth quake, but was only completed in 1770. The façade, devoid of ornaments and extravagances, incorporates Baroque motifs and classical elements. The three naves of the church are divided by high pillars with double pilasters. In the chapel ,at the back of the right nave, the silver Ark of the patron saint of the town, San Corrado, is kept.







Palazzo Ducezio

Opposite the cathedral there is Palazzo Ducezio, which houses the Town Hall. Designed by the architect Sinatra, the palace, raised with respect to the square in which it stands, was built in 1746-1830 with a single floor. A hundred years ago a second floor was superimposed on it . Of interest, inside, is the Representation room, rich in gilding and stuccoes.



Palazzo Nicolaci di Villadorata

Not far away there is Palazzo Villadorata, which looks out on Via Nicolaci, a narrow side street. The broad façade is enlivened by protruding balconies in wrought iron held up by all sorts of ledges, with human and animal figures amid volutes and arabesques, the most extreme manifestation of Noto Baroque. Built in 1731, the palace, which for a long time was the residence of the princes of

Villadorata, was recently largely purchased by the town council. In it there are ninety rooms, and in the ceilings there are 18th century frescoes. Interesting "Sala degli Specchi"(Mirrors room)




Palazzo Trigona

With its 9 Baroque balconies was owned by aristocratic family of Canicarao ;It was used for elegant events , as well dancing parties in honour of  the Queen of Napoli





The Crocifisso Church

The Crocifisso Church is the second one in the town after the cathedral. It stands in the upper part of Noto, in Piazza Mazzini. Designed by Gagliardi (1715), it is the richest church in works of art. Inside there are two, column-bearing lions from the Romanesque epoch, recovered from the ruins of the Crocifisso church in the old town; there is also the white marble statue of the Madonna della Neve done in 1471 by Francesco Laurana.




The Montevergine Church

At the end the street is closed off by the Montevergine Church, attributed to the architect Sinatra. On the outside it is concave in shape, closed off between two lateral towers; inside there is only one nave, along which there are Corinthian columns.




Short facts

Noto: Capital of Sicilian Baroque. The City is included in UNESCO World Heritage in July 2002.
Area: 554 km²
Elevation: 80 m
Population: 24 047
Population name: Notinesi or Netini
Area code: 0931
Zip Code: 96017
Geographic Location: South-Eastern Sicily
Patron Saint: Saint Corrado


Feasts days

19th February and the last Sunday in August: Feast of the Patron St. Corrado
Corrado Confalonieri was a knight from Piacenza "saved from the fire by the Hand of God", which decided to turn into an hermit in Sicily. He came in Noto and choose a cave named "dei Pizzoni" to live in. Every year during the feast, the Holy Urn (which contains the Saint's body)  preceded by the Brotherhoods and the "Cili" (big decorative candles)  is brought on the shoulders by Bearers and is followed by the Citizens Band and the church-goers, which choose to follow the ceremony barefoot from their town till the town centre.



3rd Sunday in May: the Flower show “Infiorata”
Every year, the third Sunday of May is dedicated to the Infiorata. ,considered among the most beautiful events in Sicily. Music, exhibitions, cultural and sacred tours animate the city and a spectacular carpet of flowers is prepared by  local artists  along Via Nicolaci street;different themes are followed  each year , from religion to  mythology and popular culture.


July-August: International Festival of Music and Noto’s summer
It is a summer festival of art and music: movies, theatre reviews, classic and jazz music concerts, musicals, art exhibitions. Moreover, wine and food shows of local kitchen, sport competitions and tournaments, popular feasts and folk shows.

Flavours & Aromas

- Ravioli with ricotta cheese
- Desert Cassatine filled with ricotta cheese
- Muscat of Noto D.O.C. wine since 1974
- Eloro of Noto wine D.O.C. since 1994

How to reach

By car: Noto can be reached by A18 (ME-CT-SR) and A19 (PA-CT-SR) highways, Bivio Cassibile junction - S.S. 115  

By train: Trenitalia

By bus: daily links with major towns (AST and INTERBUS)
Tickets - at Bar Efirmedio near the bus station on Largo  Pantheon -  0931835023

AST  - 840 000323
www.aziendasicilianatrasporti.it

INTERBUS - 0935 22460
www.interbus.it

By plane: the nearest airports are  “Fontanarossa” in Catania (80km)  "Comiso" (70km)

Tourism information

Location: Piazza XVI Maggio
Info: 0931896654

Opening hours: from 9:00 to 13:00 & from 15:00 to 20:00 (from 9:00 to 13:00 & from 15:00 to 19:00 in winter)

''Pro-Noto'' Tourist Association
Location: Via Gioberti 13
Info: 0931836503

HELOROS
Syracuse's colony  VIII century b.c.
Address:Contrada Cadeddi
Entry closed, visit to be requested at : 0931 450201
Helorus (Eloro) Ancient remains at a small city on a low hill near the coast SE of Noto on the left bank of the river Tellaro. The literary sources give scanty information on the ancient site, which was connected to Syracuse by the Helorian Road. In 493 B.C. Hippokrates defeated the Syracusans on Helorian territory, and in 263 B.C., by virtue of the peace treaty between Hieron II and Rome, the city passed under Syracusan control; it surrendered to Marcellus in 214 B.C.Two excavation campaigns have brought to light long sections of the ancient walls, a small temple, and some Hellenistic houses on the S slope of the modern city, where part of the theater cavea was also identified.A Sanctuary of Demeter and Kore has been explored on the shore immediately to the N of the city, at a short distance from the fortification walls. The sanctuary flourished from the archaic to the Hellenistic period and proved very rich in votive offerings; a complex of rooms in front contained several bothroi.In the S section of the urban area, a Sanctuary to Demeter has been found, dating from the second half of the 4th c. B.C. In this district, previously residential, a temple was built. Its stereobate is almost entirely preserved (20 x 10.5 m). Besides the temple, the sanctuary contained a few rectangular structures for the storage of votive offerings, a practice attested also in the extramural Koreion mentioned above. In the early 2d c. B.C. the sacred complex was delimited by a monumental stoa which has now been completely excavated. It is a long pi-shaped portico (stoa with paraskenia) with two naves, Doric columns on facade, and square pillars in the interior. The greatest length of the building is ca. 68 m, the greatest width, at the center, 7.4 m. It is one of the most important Hellenistic examples of this type of structure in Sicily. During the Byzantine period the E side of the sanctuary was occupied by a basilica with three naves, apse, and narthex, built with blocks taken from earlier buildings. The most recent excavations in the area of the sanctuary have also yielded the earliest documentation for Greek occupation at Heloros. Stratigraphic tests have produced (from the archaic levels) Protocorinthian Geometric sherds and remains of house walls of the early archaic period.These finds suggest that Heloros was not a relatively late foundation connected with the Syracusan expansion within the SE triangle of Sicily, but was instead one of the first outposts on the coastal zone S of Syracuse, in an area agriculturally very rich and strategically very important (the mouth of the Tellaro) especially with regard to the sites defended by the native populations.Among the important finds of the recent campaigns are the discovery of the S city gate and the identification of the major traffic artery within the city, which ran N-S and connected the N gate, already excavated, with the newly discovered gate.
G. VOZA
The Princeton encyclopedia of classical sites. Stillwell, Richard. MacDonald, William L. McAlister, Marian Holland. Princeton, N.J. Princeton University Press. 1976.
BIBLIOGRAPHY
A. Holm, Storia della Sicilia, III:1 (1901); P. Orsi, NotSc (1899) 241-44; B. Pace, Arte e civiltà della Sicilia antica, I-III (1953) passim; G. V. Gentili, EAA 3 (1960) s.v. Eloro; A. Di Vita, “La penetrazione siracusana nella Sicilia sud-orientale” Kokalos 2 (1956) 9ff; M. T. Curró et al., MonAnt 47 (1956) cols. 207-340; G. Voza, Kokalos 14-15 (1968-1969) 360-62; id. EAA s.v. Eloro (supplementary volume in preparation).

Guided Tours
Powered by  Sciara Art
P.Iva 019824708898
All rights reserved
"Who we are
"Our Commitment
"FAQ

admin@visitsicily.eu

Back to content